2009 property tax rates have been established and tax bills are going out for all cities in York County South Carolina including Clover, Fort Mill, Tega Cay, and Rock Hill. Not surprisingly, several cities have increased property taxes again. There are a few cities where millage rates are flat or actually lower.
Fort Mill and Tega Cay have the largest increase in millage rates. If your property is assessed at a 4% rate (primary residence) your millage rate has increased 10.6% in Fort Mill and 9.5% in Tega Cay. If your property is assessed at 6%, your millage rate increase is approx 7% in both cities.
Rock Hill?s 4% millage rate actually decreased 2% if you live in a non ?Special Landscape District?. What part of Rock Hill is a Special Landscape District? Generally in the Dave Lyle and I-77 area according to the City of Rock Hill Economic Development Dept. Here is a map showing the ?Special Landscape Area? from Rock Hill. LMD boundary map with parcel ID5.
Clover and York 4% assessment millage rates were flat from 2008.
What is a millage rate? What is the difference between a 4% assessment and 6% in York County SC? And how, overall, is your property tax calculated in York County SC?
Basically your taxes are calculated by multiplying three items, which are:
- An appraised value of your home.
- An assessment ratio.
- A city/county millage rate.
The sum of these three items equals what you owe in home property taxes.
To get more on how your taxes are calculated and definitions, see my article ?It?s Property Tax Time in York County SC ? Fort Mill, Tega Cay Raise Millage Rates?
Here are examples on how to calculate property taxes and last year?s tax value comparisons for Fort Mill, Tega Cay , and Rock Hill:
4% Primary Residence Assessments:
- Example: $100,000 property value in the City of Fort Mill? ($100,000 x 4% x 0.223 = $ 892.00 versus $806.40 in 2008).
- Example: $100,000 property value in the City of Tega Cay ($100,000 x 4% x 0.223 = $892.00 versus $814.40 in 2008).
- Example: $100,000 property value in the City of Rock Hill (non special landscape district) ($100,000 x 4% x 0.213 = $852.00 versus $870.00 in 2008)($100,000 x 4% x 0.216.7 = $866.00 Special Landscape District).
6% Assessment Examples:
- Example: $100,000 property vaule in the City of Fort Mill ($100,000 x 6% x 0.3914 = $2,348.40 versus $2,190.00 in 2008).
- Example: $100,000 property in the City of Tega Cay ($100,000 x 6% x 0.3194 = $2,348.40 versus $2,202.00 in 2008)
- Example: $100,000 property in the City of Rock Hill ($100,000 x 6% x 0.380 = $2,285.40 versus $2,276.00 in 2008 (non special landscape district).
Will your property tax bill be higher this year? It will depend on 3 factors;
- Your property?s appraised value.
- If the millage rate increased in your area.
- And if your property?s assessment ratio status changed (6% or 4%).
For further property tax information assistance, you can contact the York County?s Tax Assessors office.
Scott Miller For Carmen Miller